Why PST or NOT PST?
People have built up a lot of PSTs in the years because of small mailbox sizes, use of mail systems that saved data locally, etc. But, using PST files also has its downsides. Let’s take a look at a few:
A lot of people started using PST files because their mailboxes could not store all the mails due to unsufficient storage. With Office 365, Microsoft provides you with a 50 GB mailbox, and -depending on which subscription you’ve selected – an unlimited archiving mailbox.
Data at Risk
A downside of storing PST files locally is PSTs run the risk of eventually becoming corrupted. This will result in lost data. When you are dealing with sensitive company data, PSTs may be a risk you don’t want to take.
A lot of companies are required to maintain a certain level of compliancy. Data that resides in PST files cannot be validated and therefore will be considered noncompliant.
Since PSTs are stored locally or on a network drive, they will not be visible in your OWA or on your mobile phone.
PST and MigrationWiz
With BitTitan’s MigrationWiz you can resolve your PST problem permanently. MigrationWiz allows you to migrate PSTs into the mailbox or archives of your users. It doesn’t matter if your mailboxes are stored in Exchange (2007 or higher), online, GoogleApps, or Amazon S3. MigrationWiz can handle them all.
How does it work?
MigrationWiz takes a Microsoft Azure storage account as its source. Microsoft Azure storage is cheap, reliable and allows drive shipping (read more here) . Drive shipping allows you to send physical hard drives to Microsoft and get them attached to your Microsoft Azure storage account. Through drive shipping you allow your bandwidth to stay at full capacity and still migrate your PSTs at the highest speed possible.
Step by Step
- Create a Microsoft Azure Storage Account
- Visit Microsoft Azure.
- Go to Storage.
- Click on New.
- Select Storage > Quick Create.
- Choose a URL for your storage.
- Select the location of your storage.
- Select your subscription.
- Choose your redundancy.
- Click on Create Storage Account.
- Create a Public Container called migrationwiz
- Upload your PSTs in the this container by using our upload tool or the Azure Storage Explorer.
- Copy the primary key of the storage account.
- Setup MigrationWiz
- Sign in to your MigrationWiz account.
- Click the Projects tab.
- Click on the Create Project button .
- Choose Archive Project
- Select PST as a Source
- Storage Account Name is the name of the storage account
- Access Key is the primary key of the storage account
- Select and configure your destination
- Save your project. If you want to migrate to an archive mailbox, skip to Option 3 below.
- Choose Quick Add
- Define the path to the PST (filename included)
- Define the destination primary email address
- Go back to 11 if you have multiple PST files.
- Use Verify to check the credentials
- Use Start to do a trial or full migration
- When you want to migrate to an Archive Mailbox.
- Go to Advanced Options
- Change the destination from mailbox to archive
Or read everything on our community site . These KBs have the detailed information on how to migrate PSTs.